Following months of anticipation and much speculation about Apple’s new iPhone – many are left in awe of its new features. This will be welcome news for Latinos with yesterday’s statistics from Pew Internet that Hispanic-Americans have the highest percentage of smartphone ownership.
It is now easy to understand why the last iPhone was just an incremental device and thus called the iPhone 4S. The new iPhone 5 has truly revolutionary new features that will impact your lifestyle. Guaranteed.
Here’s a recap of the improvements made to the iPhone 5:
- A larger screen: 4 inches and much higher resolution of 1,136 x 640 – this means more clarity in the images AND up to six rows of apps on the screen
- It is 20% lighter than it’s predecessor – made mostly of glass and aluminum, it’s also a new design – so be prepared to ditch your old case!
- For the first time, the iPhone will run on 4G LTE network and Apple claims it will retain it’s amazing record on battery life: 8 hours on LTE and 10 hours on Wi-Fi.
- It has a more impressive chip, which makes navigation faster and power usage more efficient
- It holds a new 8 megapixel camera and photo technology for better, more vivid pictures and Apple has also improved on the quality of pictures we can take in low light – which was not great on the iPhone 4S. You will also be able to take breathtakingly beautiful panorama pictures with it’s new Panorama Stitching.
- The new Maps App –will also give you real-time traffic information – to me, this is also a true productivity and lifestyle enhancing feature (goodbye Google Maps) – from iMaps you will also be able to print your directions.
- Photo sharing will give you a private Instagram-like group – which is much better for families and for kids!
- Siri will now give you the NFL standings and yes, she can now launch apps and book your table reservations via OpenTable.
- You will now be able to FaceTime with your kids, friends using the cellular network (although be aware some carriers will charge extra for this feature)
The price? The iPhone 5 will cost $199 for 16GB and $399 for 64GB (while the iPhone 4S will be $99) AND for all of the enthusiastic Apple fans you can pre-order on Friday September 14 and receive your new iPhone on September 21st.
It is also impressive noting that Apple will roll out in 100 countries, 240 carriers by the end of this year – the fastest phone rollout ever. Why? Because it can! It’s state-of-the-art manufacturing infrastructure around the world is THAT good.
That’s not all. The iPhone 4 S new price? How does free sound? This is a definite attempt by Apple to snuff out some of Android’s market share and keep people gobbling up all of the latest generations of iPhones.
What do you think? Is the iPhone 5 for you?
Monica Vila is “Chief Technology Mom,” born and raised in Mexico and co-founder of The Online Mom, the market leader in providing online and off-line tools to make parents of kids K-12 smarter and more comfortable with the technology that touches their family. The Online Mom is a website, an online newsletter, a forum for discussion, a network of certified experts and a social community devoted to promoting a healthy understanding and appreciation for the positive role technology can play in a family’s life.