Legendary ranchera singer Vicente Fernández recently discovered a “small lump” on his liver during a routine medical checkup and will be undergoing medical testing in hopes of a conclusive diagnosis, says the musician’s company Star Productions.
The 72-year-old didn’t let the news stop him from performing three concerts in Texas last weekend on his “Gira de Adios” tour, but announced that two shows on Nov. 2-3 in Culiacan, Mexico will be canceled in order to accommodate medical testing in Houston.
“I thank [my fans] for all the tokens of affection that I have received,” said Fernández in a statement released last week. “I’m with my family, and we hope that next week’s results are very good. Thanks to all the people who love me and have offered prayers for me. Their support gives me the strength to keep going.”
Fernández , who in October was honored with a street named after him in Chicago’s Mexican neighborhood, announced earlier this year that would he would retire from touring after nearly 50 years of non-stop travels.
It isn’t the first medical scare for “El Rey de la Cancion Ranchera,” as Fernández is known by his fans. In 2003, the icon underwent treatment for prostate cancer.
Despite the troubling news, Fernández intends to wrap up his farewell tour in December as previously scheduled.
And while the musical icon – who has sold more than 8 million albums in the United States – may be temporarily set back, he continues to make musical history, partnering up with crooner Tony Bennett on his new album, “Viva Duets.” The two recorded “Return to Me” in Fernández ’s recording studio in Mexico and performed the tune live at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey in September.