A Colombian special forces soldier guards a captured FARC camp August 25, 2001 in Guaviare, Colombia. The army has been continuing a new offensive against Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia rebels in the jungles of southern Colombia. (Photo by Carlos Villalon/Getty Images)

A Colombian special forces soldier guards a captured FARC camp August 25, 2001 in Guaviare, Colombia. The army has been continuing a new offensive against Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia rebels in the jungles of southern Colombia. (Photo by Carlos Villalon/Getty Images)

Son sues FARC in Florida after dad’s death in Colombia

MIAMI — The son of a former Colombian senator allegedly kidnapped and killed in 1999 is suing the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia and other rebel groups in Miami district court.

Antonio Caballero says he was forced to abandon his businesses and property and flee to safety in Florida after his father’s death.

The lawsuit filed last week said the groups held his 76-year-old father hostage for more than six months, denied him food and water and forced him to traverse dense jungles. According to the lawsuit, FARC demanded $6 million ransom before shooting Carlos Caballero multiple times.

Caballero was the former president of Colombian Liberal Party and a vocal critic against FARC and drug trafficking.

The lawsuit claims damages under state racketeering laws and wrongful death under Colombian law.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,288 other followers

%d bloggers like this: