Brother saves 9-year-old sister from fire

A 9-year-old Sacramento County girl was rushed to the hospital with second-degree burns when a candle fell onto some spilled nail polish remover, causing an explosion.

It was her 19-year-old brother who jumped into action and saved the child.

“She’s like, ‘Junior, help me, help,'” Junior Erizondo told KCRA 3 on Thursday, recalling the incident.

He didn’t hesitate.

“I was thinking, where’s the water at? Where’s the water at? And I threw her in the bathtub,” Erizondo said. “My hands are burning, but I ain’t going to let my little sister burn.”

Erizondo turned on the shower to douse the flames while family members called 911.

The girl was applying nail polish when the acetone remover overturned — then moments later, the candle tipped and caused the explosion.

“It sucks,” Erizondo said. “A little girl, a little 9-year-old girl getting burned.”

Firefighters took the child to a nearby hospital.

“Candles should only be lit if they are in a container, and I haven’t seen the actual candle, but if this one got knocked over, that means it wasn’t safe,” said Rick Griggs, a battalion chief with Sacramento Metro.

But the 9-year-old is expected to survive.

%d bloggers like this: